United States District Court, Central District of California

FAQs about Judges' Procedures and Schedules

Last Updated: 07/22/2015

Name:Title:Court RoomLocation:
Hon. Mariana R. PfaelzerJudge12 - Spring St. FloorLos Angeles - Spring Street

Courtroom Deputy Clerk:Telephone:
Jacob Yerke213-894-5286

The best way to contact the judge's courtroom deputy clerk is by calling 213-894-5286; if the clerk does not answer the phone, be sure to leave a voice-mail message.

Hon. Mariana R. Pfaelzer
Court Clerk: Jacob Yerke
Court Reporter: As Assigned
Courtroom No.: 12
Telephone: 213-894-5286
Telephone: N/A

  1. Civil motions are heard on: Monday and Wednesday, time: 1:30 P.M.
    Pre-Trial Conferences are heard on: Mondays, time: 1:30 P.M.
    (If Monday is a holiday, motion date is: The Next Monday)
    It is not necessary to clear a motion date with the court clerk prior to filing a motion.

  2. Discovery motions are to be scheduled before the District Judge
    (Judge Pfaelzer will have the court clerk refer each motion to the Magistrate Judge)

  3. Are tentative rulings issued? No.

  4. Please submit three (3) conformed mandatory chambers copies to Chambers.
    • Three (3) mandatory chambers copies of filed documents shall be delivered to chambers. Each of the 3 chambers copies must be clearly marked MANDATORY CHAMBERS COPIES. For filings submitted under seal, three mandatory chambers copies of the unredacted under seal filing shall be delivered to chambers. Do not deliver copies of any public versions of under seal documents. The under seal copies need not be submitted in envelopes. If the parties have concerns about confidentiality, the submissions may be delivered directly to Chambers.
    • For motions filings and complaints with more than 250 pages total, chambers copies shall be submitted in three sets. Each set must include one chambers copy of each filed document in the order of submission. For example, a motion to dismiss should be grouped, preferably by clip or box, with the supporting memorandum of law, declarations, exhibits, proposed order, and other related documents. Parties SHOULD NOT submit three (3) memoranda of law in a group, three (3) of the declarations in a group, etc.

  5. Procedures for filing an Ex Parte Application: A party submits an Ex Parte Application, with a declaration of notification to the other parties, and a separate proposed order. The Court will either grant, deny or have the party set the matter for a notice of motion.

  6. To request a continuance of any scheduled court proceeding: The party(ies) must make the request in writing by either submitting a stipulation or ex parte application with a proposed order for the Court's signature.

  7. Are counsel allowed to contact the Judge's law clerks or secretary? No; all inquiries of any nature are to be directed to the court clerk.

  8. Inquiries regarding the status of a motion, stipulation or proposed order: Are to be made to the court clerk.

  9. Calendar conflicts (procedures for attorneys to follow if they have a calendar conflict): If date is set by the Judge in court, counsel must advise the Judge at the time of any conflicts; if the conflict has arisen later, for instance just prior to a hearing, counsel must advise the court clerk by telephone (however, be advised: priority at the hearing can be arranged, but without a written
    stipulation/ex parte application and an order signed by the Judge, counsel must appear or risk being held in contempt)

  10. Procedures for bringing electronic equipment into the courtroom: None is allowed without prior approval of the Judge’s Court Clerk.

    For information regarding ELMO reservations and/or training, please visit the court website (www.cacd.uscourts.gov) section referring to Electronic Evidence Presenter - Reserving the Equipment. Alternatively, you may contact the Courtroom Technology Help Desk at 213-894-3061.

    If approved by the Clerk, counsel may contact the Space & Facilities Help Desk at (213) 894-1400 to make arrangements with the U. S. Marshal’s Office on how and when to bring the equipment into the building via the public entrances or loading dock if vehicle access is needed. Arrangements for bringing voluminous exhibits into the courtroom can also be made through the S&F Help Desk. (Please note that prior to calling Space & Facilities to set up an appointment, counsel shall contact the court clerk to arrange for a date and time for the delivery into the courtroom of the equipment or the voluminous exhibits.)

  11. For general information on how to order a transcript of any reported or digitally recorded proceeding, please contact 213-894-3015 or visit the court website (www.cacd.uscourts.gov) section referring to Court Reporter/Recorder Transcripts. If you require an estimate of cost for the preparation of a transcript, contact the court reporter/recorder for the desired proceeding.

    To determine the court reporter/recorder for a particular proceeding, go to the Court Reporter Schedule web page and click on View by Date. Once you've determined the correct court reporter/recorder for the desired session, click on Court Reporter Phone and Email List for contact information.

  12. Questions regarding law clerk positions: Shall be directed to the Judge's secretary Pat Patino at 213-894-7284. Judge Pfaelzer does not utilize the services of externs.

  13. Trial Preparation:
    1. Court hours: As determined by the Court

    2. Exhibit preparation: Pursuant to the local rules (the exhibits, except for physical exhibits, shall be in 3-ring binders, the original tagged set for the court clerk -- one set for the Judge and a third set for the witnesses if possible)

    3. Jury instructions: To be submitted in the form and time frames in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil and Criminal Procedure and the local rules;

    4. Verdict forms: The court clerk prepares the verdict form in criminal cases; in civil cases the plaintiff submits the proposed verdict form in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and the local rules

    5. Other: The parties shall come to court fully prepared, with the three sets of bound exhibits as described above; and also with two clean copies of their witness lists and two clean copies of their exhibit lists, all which shall be given to the court clerk before the start of court.

  14. Procedures for obtaining the services of an interpreter on a civil case: The party must hire a certified Federal Court interpreter, whether it be done through the Court Interpreter's Section, or from some outside source. (Court Interpreter's telephone number: 213-894-4599).