United States District Court, Central District of California

FAQs about Judges' Procedures and Schedules

Last Updated: 04/11/2016

Name:Title:Court RoomLocation:
Hon. Carla WoehrleMagistrate Judge640Los Angeles - Roybal

Courtroom Deputy Clerk:Telephone:
Marc Krause213-894-2554

The best way to contact the judge's courtroom deputy clerk is by calling 213-894-2554; if the clerk does not answer the phone, be sure to leave a voice-mail message.

Court Clerk: Marc Krause
Courtroom No.: 640
Telephone: 213-894-2554

  1. Civil motions are heard on Tuesdays, Time: 10:00 a.m.
    Criminal motions are heard on: as required.
    (If Monday is a holiday, next motion date is Wednesday.
    It is not necessary to clear a motion date with the court clerk prior to filing the motion, but it is necessary to check the court's website for closed motion dates prior to filing.

  2. Tentative rulings are not always available but they may be issued either prior to the hearing date or possibly on the morning of the hearing.

  3. Mandatory chambers copies:
    1. Mandatory chambers copies of criminal e-filed documents are to be delivered to criminal intake, 1st floor, Roybal.

    2. Regular e-filings courtesy copy box outside chambers, 6th Floor, Roybal and chambers e-mail box in word or wordperfect format with proposed order.

  4. Under Seal Documents - Counsel are to electronically file under seal documents pursuant to Local Rules 79-5 and 79-6. All proposed sealed documents must be submitted in PDF format via e-mail to the Judge's Chambers e-mail at CW_Chambers@cacd.uscourts.gov, together with a PDF version of the application for filing under seal and declaration of notice of proof of service, as well as a Word or WordPerfect version of the proposed order for filing.

  5. Protective Orders - All proposed Protective orders must describe the documents to be protected with particularity. The application and notice or proof of service shall also be electronically filed pursuant to Local Rules 5-4.5 and 79-5.1 Mandatory chambers copies of all e-filed documents including under seal documents must be delivered to chambers (by hand or overnight courier) by noon on the following day. The Court recommends that the parties use the attached stipulated protective order form available for download below.

  6. Procedures for filing an ex parte application:
    E-file documents. Notify the opposing side that opposition papers shall be filed within 24 hours. The court clerk will notify counsel if a hearing is required. Otherwise, the Court will rule on the papers.

  7. To request a continuance of any scheduled court proceeding:
    File a request for continuance, state the reason(s) for the continuance and attach Proposed Order.

  8. Counsel are not allowed to contact the judge's chambers unless specifically directed by the court.

  9. Inquiries regarding the status of a motion, stipulation or proposed order may be checked via the website, or through the computer at the courthouse, or in the Records Section.

  10. Calendar conflicts: Notify the magistrate clerk.

  11. Procedures for bringing electronic equipment into the courtroom: Contact the magistrate clerk.

  12. For general information on how to order a transcript of any reported or digitally recorded proceeding, please contact 213-894-3015 or visit the court website (www.cacd.uscourts.gov) section referring to Court Reporter/Recorder Transcripts. If you require an estimate of cost for the preparation of a transcript, contact the court reporter/recorder for the desired proceeding.

    To determine the court reporter/recorder for a particular proceeding, go to the Court Reporter Schedule web page and click on View by Date. Once you've determined the correct court reporter/recorder for the desired session, click on Court Reporter Phone and Email List for contact information.

  13. Questions regarding law clerk/extern positions: Contact chambers.

  14. Trial preparation: Orders governing trial procedures will be issued by the court in cases where the parties have consented to jurisdiction of the Magistrate Judge.

  15. Procedures for obtaining the services of an interpreter on a civil case:
    If the government is the moving party, the Court will pay for an interpreter. If sign language is required, the Court will also pay for the services of an interpreter. Contact the Interpreter's Section at 213-894-4459.

File for Download:
File Type: Adobe Acrobat


Final Form Stipulated Protective Order [Revised Sept. 16, 2014]

File Size: 74 KBytes